Monday, January 19, 2009

Thing Two

Thing two is reflections on Web 2.0. It was funny because I read the Neflin post asking us to reflect after I read the recent American Libraries article "Testing the Web 2.0 Waters". I try to keep up-- I really do. Time and energy seem to conspire against me. My kids help me stay up to date. I was IMing with the best of them 10 years ago when our son was in college. Our daughter-in-law was in my space. So I joined my space. The kids in our service area were using my space so our library has a my space page. Now my daughter-in-law and son both use face book so -- guess what I have a facebook account. The kids in our service area are moving on to twitter. And so it goes.
I've aggregated RSS feeds for a dozen blogs (the Neflin 23 things one won't add), but most of the time I do no more than skim the headlines. I'm a firm believer that you should be where your users/patrons are. If they are using blogs then the Library System needs to blog. If they wouldn't know a blog from a bog then you should concentrate your efforts eleswhere. Just because we can dosen't mean we should.
Maybe after I finish the 23 things I won't feel like I'm playing catch up. I'll be even with the rest of the world for oh.... 23 seconds at least.
Now on to my CPLA class homework. Who would have thunk 10 years ago we would be taking synchronous classes and trainings on line...
Currently reading: Strength for the Journey and listening to 1st to Die ( and my homework for CPLA and SSLLI)

2 comments:

  1. Bonnie,

    I am going to follow your blog throughout the 23 Things. You are welcome to take a peek at mine every once in a while.

    Blogapalooza!
    http://zzzsblogapalooza.blogspot.com/

    Brad Ward
    NEFLIN

    ReplyDelete
  2. You've done a great job keeping up with technology! I'm impressed. Thank God for kids!

    ReplyDelete