Monday, May 11, 2009

Book Opinion -- "Crucial Conversations"

Elizabeth, this post is for you. While I was at the Florida Library Association Conference in Orlando last week I finished reading Crucial Conversations: Tools for talking when stakes are high. This book was recommended by Jill and I did enjoy it. The premise is that when it really counts we tend to let our emotions get in the way of important conversations. I read another book (OK so the memory isn't what it used to be -- I don't remember which one) that talked about the short time between action and reaction and how we can use that moment to choose our behavior. This book uses that moment and the moments during the conversation to recognize that: this is a crucial conversation, what is our own behavior, to recognize behaviors in others and WHAT to do about those behaviors. It includes a self test to see what areas the reader is weakest in -- what behaviors we are most likely to employ. Do we use flight or fight (and the different techniques for each) -- how can we change that in ourselves and in others. I really liked the last chapter which recognized that this was alot of information at one time and made suggestions for application and change one piece at a time. The book is full of examples from the work place and from personal relationships as well. Did I identify some of my own behaviors and some of Mark's? You bet. When Mark and I go househunting next week, we will be having several "crucial conversations" Having read this book, I believe that our discussions will be more productive with less stress. Time will tell.

No comments:

Post a Comment