Friday, September 11, 2009

Company This Weekend

It has been almost 4 years since we have had company at our house. Jack and Linda are coming on Saturday. We are so excited! Jack spent the week at Space Camp in Huntsville, AL so I'm sure we will hear all about it. The upstairs is finished (more or less -- we are still waiting for kitchen appliances). But there are still alot of boxes in the lower level. (Dad's level -- are we surprised?)
We went to an estate auction on Labor Day and the heirs broke into a fist fight. That was exciting. I got a very small table at a garage sale to use as a telephone table in the kitchen. I also got a desk for the family computer at the Habitat for Humanity Store. I'm really happy with the desk. It is big enough to have the monitor far enough away and has drawers for things needed at the computer. It was brand new but had a couple of rubbed places on it for $35. What a deal. It does weigh a ton but Dad and I got it in the house an inch at a time.
We are making plans for Christmas in Denver and a quick trip at baby time in October. Dad will still have some leave left so we are considering a Thanksgiving cruise to Mexico and points South.
We finally made up our minds that this one particular oven could be made to work in the space available in the kitchen. I went in to Lowe's to order it and the company (GE) had stopped making that model. And it only took us 6 weeks to make up our minds... go figure. Anyway I came home and started looking on line. I found a place that said they could get it so I ordered it. When I got an e-mail saying it was backordered I figured that was it. We would have to wait for the new model to come out and then start measuring all over again. Well, a week later they said it had shipped. So now we are anxiously waiting for that to arrive. Our cooktop was ordered from Lowe's and should be in about Sept. 17th. (Can't wait) Since we will be installing the microwave on a shelf above the single oven, (rather than built-in) we went ahead and bought a microwave. I have been using it every meal and loving it. Nothing like cooking on a hot plate for 2 months to make you appreciate the small things in life.
I'm reading the Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society for book club and loving it. Also reading the Quilt Apprentice (the first in the Elm Creek Quilt series) and enjoying it as well. I did something the other day that I rarely do. I re-read a book. I wanted to continue the Landover series and couldn't figure out where I left off so I re-read Magic Kingdom for Sale -- Sold by Terry Brooks now I can go on to Black Unicorn.

No comments:

Post a Comment