Saturday, March 14, 2009

Thing 13 -- Library Thing

Years ago I was at a conference and heard about Library Thing. I came home and e-mailed my son-in-law. He and my daughter are the type that keep the books on their shelves in author order. I thought it would appeal to him to know exactly what they had. I guess I should not have been surprised to find that they already used it.

So I added 7 books from my shelves. Now you have to understand that I don't read the books on my shelves I keep them for emergencies. I think it comes from growing up in the midwest and always being afraid I will run out of something to read in a snowstorm. I read books from the library, I read books from www.bookswim.com but I don't read books from my bookshelf.

I went to the widget page, I made a widget. I copy and pasted it but I couldn't see anything when I hit preview. I went back several times to the widget page and finally when I told it to post it told me the code wasn't closed. It seems that when I clicked in the box with the code it highlighted and copies everything except the final script with punctuation. As soon as I added that everything worked (except preview). I can see using this as a quick and easy (once you get it to work) way of telling people what new books have been added to the library. You can add new titles and remove old ones and get a random widget. However, don't expect my books to change very often. :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment