Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Thing 17 -- Podcasts

I subscribe to the NPR library blog "as a matter of fact". Yesterday in honor of St Patrick's Day they posted a podcast from Morning Edition on the poetry of William Butler Yeats.

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=1071680

What was so fascinating was that it included recordings from 1933 of Yeats reading his own poetry. He discovered that he was a much better poet than reader. He read with a chant quality. The piece talks about his changing the words of one of his most famous poems because they just didn't "read well" out loud. There is another interesting podcast from NPR called Playback. It features stories from 25 years ago researched at the NPR library. I haven't listened to one yet as they are 25 minutes long, but since I am now caught up on Things (Yay, Yippee!!), I might actually listen to one. Since I have been married for 35 years they won't be quite the ancient history that they would be for some of you. (tee hee)

I am including here the link to the topic directory for NPR's podcasts http://www.npr.org/rss/podcast/podcast_directory.php?type=topic

As you can see they cover anything and everything you might wish to explore. One could spend a long time with the uncomfortable head phones over your ears. (I really need a new pair but my husband gave me these for Christmas and I need to use them for a while before replacing them)

OK so thank heavens for auto save. I accidently hit the back button instead of the hide preview button and went back to the dashboard. When I hit the forward button it took me to a blank post screen. "OH NO it's gone..... Wait... What about this draft autosaved that flashes at the bottom on a regular basis?" Of course I had to go to Help to figure out that you click on "Return to list of posts" to find that draft version. But at least I didn't have to try to recreate the post. I think those creative juices only flow once.

1 comment: